I came across Donald Schon's (Schon 1987) idea of reflection- in- action and reflection- on- action. Although I’m familiar with both forms of reflection being a dancer and teacher of dance I find reflection-on-action slightly alien.
As a teacher I use both forms of reflection, I have to reflect-in-action to change what isn’t working almost immediately while holding attention and maintaining control within the class. I then replay the events that took place in the class reflecting-on-action and noting what didn’t work and why, discovering new ways to make it work. When reflecting back on events, I often find it difficult to express the way I felt or the reckoning behind a though. As I mention in my video diary I often say a lot without saying anything at all. I use my expressions and my body to convey thoughts and experiences. This could be the start of trying to access and explain my tactic knowledge.
Michael Polanyi’s (polanyi 1966) states that
‘I shall reconsider human knowledge by starting from the fact that we know more than we can tell’
I do believe this for the reason that as a dancer it would be almost impossible sometimes to explain or question some of my reflection- in- action reasoning or logic. I therefore struggle to convey these as a written journal. However through experimenting with poems, scrap books and video journals, I have had far more success in accessing this knowledge. As Adesola (Akinleye 2010) states in the reader Polanyi’s statement raises the importance to have a variety of ways to support reflection. Taking sections of the daily newspapers and magazines and creating collages of my reflective thoughts has aided me in unravelling layers and even expressing and explaining my tactic knowledge more than my written journal.
Although I agree with Polanyi, I also believe Osterman and Kottkamp (2004) and Jennifer Moon (Moon 1999) In 'the importance of finding ways to articulate tatic knowlege' (Akinleye 2010)
It is vital to find ways into tactic knowledge whether these are written in words or expressed through poems, as it’s a step closer to unlocking knowledge that has so much meaning and use for as to learn and develop. Through asking myself different questions and reflecting in different ways I'm experiencing a completely new way of reflecting that is much more rewarding in terms of self observation.
The video journal below is based on the Reid and Moon framework, taken from the BAPP Module handbook for WBS3002 (2010). Although some of the questions I answer later as they require more thought, in comparison to my previous video journal, I achieve and reveal ideas that I had never thought to ask myself.
When I think of reflection it is something I have been doing without labelling it. When I teach I get my pupils to reflect on there work and the work of others by commenting on what they think has worked and why and what maybe hasn't. This helps them to look at there work in a different way and to be actively involved in the development of others work, to form constructive criticism and opinions by having full involvement.
John Dewey (1934) felt that interaction with the arts led to unique and valuable experience. I agree with this theory as some of the children that I teach come to develop new skills like confidence, co-ordination, concentration and communication and because they are actively involved in the learning of these skills they start to have new experiences. If based on these theories.
How important is dance in education?
Although I agree with Polanyi, I also believe Osterman and Kottkamp (2004) and Jennifer Moon (Moon 1999) In 'the importance of finding ways to articulate tatic knowlege' (Akinleye 2010)
It is vital to find ways into tactic knowledge whether these are written in words or expressed through poems, as it’s a step closer to unlocking knowledge that has so much meaning and use for as to learn and develop. Through asking myself different questions and reflecting in different ways I'm experiencing a completely new way of reflecting that is much more rewarding in terms of self observation.
The video journal below is based on the Reid and Moon framework, taken from the BAPP Module handbook for WBS3002 (2010). Although some of the questions I answer later as they require more thought, in comparison to my previous video journal, I achieve and reveal ideas that I had never thought to ask myself.
When I think of reflection it is something I have been doing without labelling it. When I teach I get my pupils to reflect on there work and the work of others by commenting on what they think has worked and why and what maybe hasn't. This helps them to look at there work in a different way and to be actively involved in the development of others work, to form constructive criticism and opinions by having full involvement.
John Dewey (1934) felt that interaction with the arts led to unique and valuable experience. I agree with this theory as some of the children that I teach come to develop new skills like confidence, co-ordination, concentration and communication and because they are actively involved in the learning of these skills they start to have new experiences. If based on these theories.
How important is dance in education?
No comments:
Post a Comment