My task was to write reflective poems for 7 days. Although I never managed to complete the task I felt it uncovered some interesting reflective thoughts. I found the task rather amusing and my inability to string words together was rather embarrassing, but what I uncovered was that because I was less focused on content, reflective thoughts that I hadn’t even considered were now presented in rather poor poems. The quote below is from one of my poems.
'A word not really for this place but strangely fits to hide its face.' (carman 2011)
This poem had a rather negative feel to it and presented my worries about several issues that were taking place in my life. This quote stresses that I must find my place within the situation and stop hiding behind my insecurities. This unearthed some deeper reflective thoughts.
Each poem had a running theme all of which were quite negative, which contradicts my feelings towards the task, as I found it a real release and it left me feeling quite positive. In fact at the end of my poems I tend to resolve these feelings quote
'Don't be affraid your not alone'
I don’t feel this is my preferred way of reflecting but it definitely has a place in my reflective journey, in talking me through the day’s events and reassuring me in there outcomes.
'Don't be affraid your not alone'
I don’t feel this is my preferred way of reflecting but it definitely has a place in my reflective journey, in talking me through the day’s events and reassuring me in there outcomes.
I had a similar experience to you Nicole - i found the poems I wrote were generally quite negative but the experience of writing the poems was definitely a positive one for me. Perhaps the poems helped us to 'release' our doubts and worries so that as a result we were left free to feel more productive and able to move on from those feelings? I think that when negative thoughts or worries come, we must acknowledge them, but then move on. Perhaps the poetry writing task helped us to do just that.
ReplyDeleteNicole- I have not got round to trying poems-but I do feel that it would have the same effort on me. Embarrassing and doubting my skills. As I said before I find it hard writing my feelings down and my thoughts,this would be way to intense for a me I think. Poems are alot deeper and stringing words together is just not me. It also would be quite time consuming? I know your quite busy teaching alot..Do you get to write every feeling and thought down? or do you miss things? This is a doubt I have- I like quick and effective theories and like you, also with me being slightly doubting my skills before I think this would just bring my insecurities out again- What do you think? Should I just try it anyway?
ReplyDeleteThe task was actually less time consuming than writing a journal, apart from my poor poetic ability; this was a really quick way of noting my experiences. It’s not actually that intense and teaches you to laugh at yourself.
ReplyDeleteI tend to write my reflections after classes, as I find it difficult to do during. I note them on my i-phone notes section while travelling it just means I don’t miss anything when I’m expanding on them later.
I think the reflective poems will be less intense than you think, If you find them to self analytical just stop but learning from your insecurities has really helped me to progress.
I find it difficult translating my experiences and feelings, my video journal has been the most beneficial so give it a try.