Over the past few days, I have been keeping a reflective journal and logging what I consider relevant to notate. I often leave my journal to the end of the day by which time I’ve forgotten most of the important experiences that have taken place during the day and include what I feel is irrelevant information. Although I’m fully aware, that what may feel irrelevant now could have significant value later.
When I think about self observation and recording my thoughts, active experimentation, I learn if something works as a teacher by actively doing it. While in the process I experience what isn’t working reflect on it and change it almost instantly.
After class I spend time reflecting on what worked during the session and listing ways of altering the parts that maybe didn’t work and noting why.
As I was reading Alicia Andrew's blog she mentions that she sends herself messages on her blackberry to note her immediate thoughts and experiences, this is something I’m going to do over the next few weeks. I shall note them in bullet points for speed and expand on the experiences later. This shall help me focus on useful experiences relating to my professional practice.
Interesting post here, an nice to meet you! I too have a blackberry and am forever doing this process of taking notes on it. Hadn't even realised I guess this is a form of recording my reflections! Think they enter our lives so much moree than we realise! I had some other thoughts on this, checkout my blog and let me know what you think!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you both, I never realised that when I take notes I am recording my reflections.
ReplyDeleteNicole, I read you post on the fact you felt slightly disheartened by the lack of communication, I do agree with you however, as this we are just getting started I'm sure we will communicate more now as we all are now getting into the swing of everything. Let me know how your journal is going as we are both dancers and we both teach so we could have the same ideas and reflections and maybe even having the same thoughts.
Hi Nicole - I am glad you read the post about Adesola's ideas on playing with reflection. I have been writing a poem a day this week and I think it's brought out some ideas and feelings I might not necessarily have noted in my traditional written journal.
ReplyDeleteIt's great that you are keeping a video diary - if you decide to share them on your blog I will definitely be interested to watch. Or if you decide to keep them private make sure you keep us updated with your discoveries.
When I want to remember things I take pictures (photos). I find I can remember everythingI was thinking at the time from a visual picture much more than if I tried to write myself a quick note. I think I am a very visual person. It helps to figure out what you think in more comfortably: sounds, pictures, smells, words and use this as a tool for capturing ideas on the hoof!
ReplyDeleteAdesola