I have been blogging and commenting on blogs and interacting over the past few weeks. I felt somewhat deflated by the fact that I hadn’t received many comments and as we all know without comments it’s difficult to spark debates and ask yourself further questions. As Adesola mentions theses blogs are our campus, so we must converse and be mature and confident enough to make mistakes this is surely part of learning. I was somewhat relived and devastated to later learn that all comments I had made over the past few weeks had never actually reached publication. How? I hear you ask. Well there is a box at the bottom you have all obviously seen that asks for verification of the letters. This has made me think about the speed at which I pump information out without really thinking about what is asked of me. After my initial nervous breakdown I began to think about how much we rely on technology. If all computers failed how much information will we lose? How can we secure valuable information especially now we move towards a strong digital future? We have allowed ourselves to become so dependant on technology that our world ends when it fails us. Hopefully future technologies will solve these problems or at least give us more options. An advantage of web 2.0 is if my laptop fails I haven’t lost my world.
This made me smile when I saw it - I thought it was a bit strange you hadn't been leaving any comments as we had talked about it on Campus day...Better late than never and at least you know people weren't ignoring you!
ReplyDeleteI agree that we need to begin to try to critically reflect without too much fear of making mistakes. I think in the early stages, and particularly because most of us don't know each other, we are all keen not to offend or perhaps don't know how to phrase our thoughts in a constructive way. I just wrote a comment on Mark Iles' blog and immediately wanted to go back and change it in case he took offense, but I think I was over-reacting and we are all grown up enough to challenge or question other people's points of view.
I wanted to point out to you one of Adesola's blogs if you haven't read it already - when I was feeling disheartened with the lack of interaction and commenting it really made me get things in perspective. It's about taking ownership of your own work and not feeling too much pressure to 'be all over the blogs' as she put it. Check it out and let me know what you think.
http://adesolaa.blogspot.com/2011/02/ownership-and-personal-revolutions.html
By the way...I have only just realised that you don't get notified if someone adds a comment to one that you made. So, if we want to keep conversations going we have to go back to one another's blogs (I think!)