BA (hons) Professional Practice

Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Web 2.0 as a tool in dance teaching

Ulrich describes the process as the ‘architecture of assembly’ participation is the key as we know to any web 2.0 network, like facebook the more we participate the more it can learn and develop.
However participation depends on the user and as I toughed on in my previous blog a negative can be the sheer amount of information and the ability to extract what is relevant. The information is as Peter mentions not that much different than before but we, as the user have to find ways in which we sort, search and use the information and then we as the user have to take this information and create an understanding.
I looked into the ways in which I search online information Google, wikipediayoutube and msn I use YouTube to stimulate ideas for choreography for my dance pieces; I can view several different productions from all over the world giving me a broader knowledge. The other day I participated in a virtual ballet class from my living room after searching on YouTube for a ballet class. I had the chance to be taught by ballet masters.
There are many social networks that I use daily castingcallpro, spotlight, dancerspro, casting network and dance teachers online that are designed solely for the use of performers and through discussions and postings I learn about new job opportunities, performances and companies. I prioritize this information by selecting exactly what jobs vacancies are send to me and I create a platform to present myself to future employees.
This can be used as a tool to hide behind or give a voice to others that might not have the confidence to do so in real circumstances. These platforms allow me to sort information and jobs I would never have been able to even know about let alone apply for.  As well as communicate and share opinions with people half way across the world increasing my knowledge and thus learning in the process.





2 comments:

  1. Really interesting to hear that you did an interactive ballet class Nicole as I read about that the other day in the Metro! Was it the 'Ballet Beautiful' one? I had a look at the site and would love to hear more about how you found it. I thought it might be tricky to do if you don't have a huge amount of space? Also thought it looked pretty pricey...did you find it good value? It's a great idea though - definitely a positive example of interactive web tools for performers. I think it will help people to keep up their practice from wherever they are in the world and hopefully encourage a greater sense of democracy in a way...I often think how unfair it is that people have to travel to major cities like London to get top quality arts training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did read the article on ballet beautiful in the Metro, I was actually reviewing a ballet workout DVD on YouTube one day and it suddenly dawned on me that I could partake in a class with a ballet master. You can do a class with little space and if you find you struggle do a floor bar.

    ReplyDelete