BA (hons) Professional Practice

Sunday, 2 October 2011

Initial Questions

As I move further into my career as a dance teacher I have found that questions have started arising quite naturally, here are my initial thoughts.

  • How can dance aid in the learning of other more practical subjects?
  • What effects can dance have on a child's educational development?
  • How can we insure that private dance schools maintain a high and safe level of teaching, if it is not compulsory to be part of a teaching body or have some sort of teaching degree?
  •  Where is dances place within the education system? 

At the moment some of my questions are to personal, I do not want to start an enquiry with a rant. I also believe the questions are a little to vague but all interlinking. I am going to start a SIG on facebook titled 'Dance Education'.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole, very interesting questions here. It seems our inquirys are very much going to explore similar issues. The question of 'the benefits of dance to a childs education' I am finding is such a wide ended question with a never ending amount of coponents and views to consider. I too am intending to get some discussions going on the BAPP facebook page along these lines so shall look forward to sharing views with you! Who, in your opinion do you think will benefit most from our research into this? Other children coming into education obviously, other professionals in the teaching community too perhaps? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole - you're back! Great to hear from you again and really wonderful that you and Sophie seem to have similar lines of inquiry as you should be able to help each other loads. It seems to make sense that one SIG would do for both of you and that way you will maximise the interaction that goes on. My field is slightly different but I have just called my SIG 'Theatre, Film and TV' so I hope you will join in and share some thoughts with me - I would like to do the same with your SIG, although I am not a dancer I am still interested in performing arts in education so I'm sure I will still be able to learn and get ideas from you guys.

    Your questions are really interesting and I think you have touched on something good in looking at how dance cam affect a child's total development. I think dance and drama have a much wider impact on a child than simply learning those skills for their own sake. I know that as a child I benefited hugely from dance and drama classes, in terms of building confidence, co-ordination and also social interaction. I think there is scope for a really detailed inquiry there...perhaps more so than the question relating specifically to private schools. What do you think? Looking forward to sharing ideas and getting the ball rolling again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi great questions. I don't think they are vague, they are very related to each other. PLEASE read my blog Dance Education, 18th August 2011 http://adesolaa.blogspot.com/2011/08/dance-education.html and comment. I am really interested in what you think and I think it might be helpful in looking at your questions. This topic is really big but I think its really interesting. My PhD is in part about this. One thing that is interesting to look at is to separate knowledge from how things are taught. Dance gives us knowledge and we learn it through being taught practically. But that knowledge is not in the teaching it is in the learning. Maybe you learn the same things in other 'subject's but because of the way they are taught they appear not to be related. For instance Math is taught theoretically but if we taught it practically it might look like what we call 'dance' in the school curriculum. What do you think?

    Well done starting a SIG. Yes, it is best join together in SIGs so even if your ideas are slightly different from Sophie to are might spark each other's thoughts.
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Adesola. Interesting point regarding looking at it by separating the knowledge we gain from how things are taught. Do you think the way in which dance is taught, ie practically could stimulate more effetive ways to teach the other core subjects. Maths, being taught theoretically does have a stereotype for being 'boring' (not for all I appreciate), could encouragement for more practical teaching methods such as the ones we use for dance improve a childs stimultaion to learn it other subject matter perhaps?
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Adosola- I have posted My thoughts on the article, it has proved to be a great source in exploring my question about dance within education. I understand that by separating knowledge from teaching we teach to form understanding- knowledge. I understand that dance is like maths and kinaesthetically is like Logical-mathematical, these are ways in which we learn. It is important to defecate between these.
    If I taught maths through dance what would it be called? I would be teaching maths but not theoretically. It would be teaching dance but with a different type of outcome.

    Sophie- I do think teachers understand that learning takes place in various forms. When we are young we learn kinaesthetically and as we move into society we start to abort this style of learning. I can’t help but feel there is a question in this?

    ReplyDelete