BA (hons) Professional Practice

Friday, 22 April 2011

Sources of Information

I have struggled Identifying just 5 of my networks and so I take the word current and this allows me to recognize those sources that are valuable to me at present, this is important to consider because what may be of great value at this point in my career and life, may prove to be unrelated and insignificant as I progress . I note this because as I embark on a career as a dance teacher my networks at present are about attaining more work as a ballet and modern teacher. When I have achieved this they will be about demonstrating and finding teaching methods, that work for me in the teaching of my students. I also think it is important to remember our web based tools are shifting and developing constantly, for example MySpace was one of the first web 2.0 social networking sites that was slowly replaced by Facebook, leaving MySpace to grow to be a platform for music, bands and soloist to display their talents, was this the original vision?
I have previously blogged about how I found the web complex because of the sheer amount of information available, so it has been important for me to learn new tools in sourcing information. Through the community network the BA professional practice has constructed, I have learnt and managed to actively put these new tools into practice. Filtering and being able to connect with relevant information has been advanced by, bookmarks, feeds, favourite bars and blogs. I also now reflect on action while working and access how productive I am being, as I now realise now vital it is to have self control.
I am sure you all appreciate how difficult it is to instigate and locate networks of importance, when you change career path. Joanna mentions how she is focusing on presenting rather than acting, she goes on to state. By putting myself out there a bit I have been able to make some contacts that are great sources of information. In regards to what is ‘out there’ and how to go about developing myself as a presenter. (Adeyinka, 2010) I think one of the most important sources of information is talking to people, I mentioned in my affiliation blog that I can often isolate myself which has no benefit in my progressing and attaining new information.  I have started to ‘put myself out there’ ask, question, discuss, form debates with people, these new networks have opened up communities of practice. These have been my backbones in starting a career in dance education.  I’m currently deepening my understanding and knowledge within the ISTD community and I'm an active member in an employee’s new dance school, We came together through ‘shared vision’ (Durrant, 2010).

I have noticed the importance to numerous students of ‘the Stage’ and ‘The Dancing Times’ Sandra left a comment on Nicolas’s blog about how we can access The Stage and The Dancing Times electronically via the library. Although current issues might not be available immediately, this is a free resource. In relation Ross mentions in his blog that the articles keep him in the know on current topics in and around performing arts. I also stay current in my field with the TES magazine, it is important to have a broad knowledge of  your profession, It means that you can hold your own and have an opinion on an array of subjects and issues within it.
I believe that one of my most important sources of information is my i-phone, although it’s not a source itself and I access core sources through it, it allows me to talk and view information immediately which is so important. I have been in situations where I need to look at breakdowns, access timetables and contact a network directly, so this is a source that allows me to stay connected at all times. Through this I can access my emails that are equally as valuable, in sending information and contacting and maintaining weaker links in my networks. I believe this is far more professional than messaging them on facebook. To summarise below are my 5 most current important sources of information.

  • Communities of practice 
  • Email
  • TES magazine
  •  Phone 
  • Talking to people

References
Durrant, A. (2010) The Networked Professional Reader.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole apologies for the delay in my response - things have been manic trying to get ready for the opening of a show that I am doing. You have probably decided by now but I am opting to just put the links to the full blog, unless the blog is very lengthy with a lot of stuff that doesn't seem relevant. If that were the case I may just paste the relevant text.

    I am having a really hard time with the word count! How are you finding condensing all your learning into 750 words?

    ReplyDelete