My current networks are a vast, interlinking, ever-changing connection of individuals; each individual offers and takes something from being actively involved within the network.
I imagine my networks are like layers of an onion. The inner circles are connections of family and close friends. The outer circles are the numerous dancers, choreographers and teachers I know but don’t have close affiliations with, they are acquaintances and their sole purpose is for self progression within my profession. This network is vast in comparison to my close friends and family, this is an advantage us it gives me more opportunity to learn and develop within my profession.
My current Networks
- Family
- Close friends
- Dance teachers
- Part time work peers
- Dancers worked with
- Choreographers worked for
- ISTD associates
- Dancers I trained with
- BAPP associates
Technology and the World Wide Web is progressively becoming the most important tool in participating and discovering networks. These are some of the tools I currently use to partake in my networks on a regular basis.
- Email
- Facebook
- Spolight
- DTOL
- Dancers Pro
- Web 2.0
Although my main tools in building and maintaining my networks are mainly technology based I still use some non-technology resources.
- Letters
- TES magazine
- The Stage paper
Within my networks I play different roles dependant on my experiences, this creates status within the network. There is almost always someone at the top who holds the most knowledge and someone at the bottom who acquires it. Professional networks are largely based on the giving and receiving of information. As I increase my skills in dance teaching I climb the ladder of learning and my place within my teaching network shifts. Someone less experienced enters and my position changes because I now attain experience and wisdom to pass on to the less experienced, they can offer fresh new methods of teaching and become another individual with a common interest within the network. Networks are continually changing, I leave professional networks once I have a feeling of self fulfilment and I enter new networks that take me on different paths of my learning journey.
My networks all hold different values and again this differs in each individual. I feel as we grow, we only have a select few that are friends for personal, pleasure and recreational reasons and with whom we have found balanced levels of affiliation and so feel comfortable with. These networks are formed on close relationships in contrast to my professional networks. This is because I use my professional networks to progress and gain independents. Each network I’m in is significance to my growth as a person. I value every single network; however the inner circles hold more emotional value than the outer circles.
Developing my Professional Networks
I’m still training with the Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing so my teaching networks are still growing. I have taken a few approaches in expanding these networks; firstly I have updated all my web 2.0 platforms, Dancers Pro, DTOL and Facebook, including teaching briefs and courses I’m currently undertaking, to catch the attention of prospective companies and other teachers. I have emailed hundreds of dance schools and asked them to keep my cv on file in case they need cover teachers this is an easy way of maintaining involvement within dance teaching networks and making new contacts.
It’s important that I keep a record of choreographers and teachers I have worked with as all networks are interlinking you often find that past choreographers can sometime aid in getting and introducing you to networks of interest.
I'm fascinated in the learning theories within networking, this is an area I don't have much knowledge on so I will be exploring these theories further and there relationship to my professional networks.

a really interesting exploration of your network development...have a look at the comment I left on Stephanie's blog
ReplyDeletehttp://stephaniethomas-blog.blogspot.com/2011/04/developing-my-professional-network.html?showComment=1302254963358#c1654541893640599988
further to that debate is an interesting one for you to think about...if we took one medium away from you, say, the interwebs, which due to some weird co-incidence all stopped working. are there parts of your network that would vanish all together? Are there ones that would adapt no matter what? are there one that would struggle to adjust to different ways of communicating?
this isn't a complete hypothetical..what happened if facebook shut up shop? There have been a few times when facebook or twitter failed...the web went wild and people starting panicking...
an even more real example, egypt had the net shut down..imagine the impact of that your network? On the other hand, mobile networks played a life saving role in both Christchurch and Japan...food for thought!
Hi Nicole - it's also useful to view your networks through the lens of various concepts as set out in the Professional Newtorks Reader - Community of Practice, Affiliation etc. Check Stephanie Thomas's blog on networks ...
ReplyDeleteI really related to your idea of your networks being like the skin of an onion. I feel exactly the same way - there are those I am very close to at the centre, and then wider and wider circles of professional contacts. I think I need to focus on trying to draw some of those contacts closer to the centre of my onion. I find I often meet fantastic, interesting people of jobs, but can be bad at keeping in touch and developing a lasting relationship that may be of personal and professional benefit. I also thought of it as like having 2 columns, 1 labeled 'permanent' and 1 'temporary'....I need to move more people across from the temporary to the permanent column.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comments, I have read Stephanie’s blog on Networks and I’m currently battling with the reader, I shall post my comments on the given theories and the relationship to my networks in a blog.
ReplyDeleteI agree Stephanie I need to learn to move or manage my networks better maybe even have a column in between as at the moment they are so far apart. I have recently been building networks on Facebook I never realised how many teaching opportunities were advertised though acquaintances. I have been closing myself off to a much greater network of opportunity.
I find the idea of a hierarchy within a network an interesting idea. I am sure you are right because when I contact someone in one of my networks I immediately try to think of who would be the more useful member to contact for a particular issue. I have never really considered myself at the bottom of the hierarchy but in practise that is how it works out. But the person I contact would change with the issue I have so that that same person may contact me about an issue they would think I knew more about. So the "pecking order" is a dynamic one not a static concept.
ReplyDelete