Much like I believe cooperation is a self-serving act and integrated into us as humans, I view affiliation much the same. Affiliation according to evolutionary psychologists, our tendency to seek out others and form close relationships is an inherited trait that helps us to survive and reproduce. (Crisp, J & turner, R. 2007 pp266-268) Humans have a built in survival of the fittest instinct I believe this has evolved into a professional capacity, who can earn the most and achieve a position of important to survive within a professional network.
Homeostasis is the principle that the need to affiliate in each of us may differ. (O’Connor & Rosenblood, 1996) From drawing from my own experience my levels of affiliation change depending on the circumstances. I generally require high levels of affiliation within a social context; I tend to place less emotional value on my professional relationships and require lower levels of affiliation. I believe this is because I have no direct competition within my social relationships, relating this back to my theory of relationships being formed as a way of survival. Looking at how I behave in professional networks I tend to analysis individuals, I don’t give too much away, until I feel comfortable or have reached my desired level of affiliation. This introvert behaviour isolates me and closes me off to networks that might be beneficial in my development. In disparity this puts me at an advantage as I prevent harmful relationships and networks being formed.
Crisp & Turner suggest that individualistic cultures develop friendships in a self-serving manner; this coincides with my professional networks. In contrast collectivist cultures form friendships characterized by selflessness and obligation, much like my smaller networks of family and close friends. Can we not have both types of relationships? I believe we can depending on the circumstances that form them.
Through reflecting on my networks, I find companies generally form a collective group, with the main concern being on the whole, within this we have to strive for individuality and work in our best interests. In order to climb the ladder I have to focus on my personal goals and uphold team involvement; I guess it comes down to finding a balance.
References
Crisp, J & turner, R. (2007 pp266-268) essential social psychology. London: sage
Durrant, A. (2010) The Networked Professional Course Reader.
Thanks Nicole, your post helped me understand better this topic. I have to admit I found it quite intricate to read being english my second language....You've helped and also I found out we have a quite similar approach to affiliation within our professional networks. A post for me to help my reflection on affiliation.:)
ReplyDelete