BA (hons) Professional Practice

Thursday, 21 April 2011

connectivism

Connectivism argues that teachers, experts, books, websites etc.  are all in fact points  (or nodes) in the learners network and that each node provides ‘information’. It is the learner who connects information into the highest schemes that make sense of their experiences.  (Durrant, 2010, p 8)
Connectivism is a theory that I relate to the most mainly because the BA professional practise uses connectivist teaching methods whereby I participate using a variety of technology tools or nodes.

I was interested with Marks comment on Emily's blog; my problem with connectivism is some quotes talk about 'learning' existing in the world rather than the individual. It's this that I don't agree with. To me learning is about comprehension and understanding and these are personal things that happen within a person (Iles, 2010)
I would argue that learning takes place through connecting with information, it isn’t something we are born with, we attain knowledge through linking our networks and nodes and applying this to our experiences. Web 2.0 and technology have developed at such a pace that our knowledge is rapidly progressing. We can now connect to various nodes and access far more information, as well as a variety of opinions. I can, for example, view opinions on dance teaching from all over the world, these maybe from experienced dance practitioners or practitioners from other educational backgrounds and from a variety of cultures. These add meaning to my experiences and reshape my thinking as I connect the information. I in turn make decisions on how I teach and this is all part of learning.
I do agree that learning is about comprehension and understanding, but how do you form an understanding? I don’t form understanding internally, I connect it externally and then apply it to my knowledge. I believe it is through connecting our nodes and then translating this into understanding.

As a developing dance teacher my ‘small worlds of knowledge’ (Dumais 1997) relate and link with weak and strong nodes, what I have come to recognize is by the process of extraction, I’m making decisions on my continual learning outcomes.
Know-how and know-what is being supplemented with know-where (the understanding of where to find knowledge needed) (Siemens, 2004). Since enrolling on the BA professional practice, I now have a better understanding of know-where. I also believe that having to critically reflect on an array of theories and concepts I have developed my tools in sourcing information. This also allows me to stay up to date in my chosen field and progress when it advances.
Downes states:  to teach is to model and demonstrate, to learn is to practice and reflect. (Downes, 2007) As a practitioner on this course and in my professional practice this quote defines my active teaching and learning. I now understand that reflection plays a huge part in my learning and understanding of myself and my surroundings.  I can only look forward to how connectivism will greatly amplify my knowledge as I deepen the understanding of my practice.
References 
^ Downes, Stephen. What Connectivism Is. http://halfanhour.blogspot.com/2007/02/what-connectivism-is.html Retrieved 2009-01-28.
Durrant, A. The Networked Professional, 2010
http://emilyrose91.blogspot.com/2010/12/connectivism.html?showComment=1292164143877#c369475556226676348

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my previous blog Nicole:

    http://stephaniethomas-blog.blogspot.com/2011/04/cooperation-affiliation-social.html#comments

    I have not get posted a blog abut Connectivism, but I also feel that it is the theory I relate the most to. Even outside of the BAPP course, I find that more and more of what I learn is via that internet. I think that the traditional concept of teacher/pupil learning is almost defunct now, particularly for adults. However, with such a wealth of information to discover on the web, it can get confusing and daunting without guidance. Mark Iles previously blogged about finding a professional mentor to assist him with his learning, and perhaps this is something that we should think about? I don't think it necessarily needs to be a formal arrangement, but rather a case of identifying more experienced people in our network whom we respect and trust. I think I would have different mentors for different areas of my professional practice; for example, an certain ex-teacher who I would go to for advice about voice and accents, and a more experienced actors who I might ask about audition technique. Thinking of the people in our network as 'nodes' - perhaps it's useful to categorise or at least think about the different values each node holds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that attain knowledge through linking networks is a great way of applying this to our experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree it’s important to place value on each node and I also believe it’s important to know whom to contact within a network when you require guidance. I think I do this subconsciously but maybe it would be beneficial to become more aware. As I have mentioned in previous blogs, when entering networks I do not become immediately involved, I believe this is a way of identifying roles and status within networks of individuals and identifying where I sit in the network to form value.
    I have different mentors for all aspects of my profession and like yourself some of these are teachers who have taught me for many years, they hold a great deal of knowledge, as well as life experience so can often relate to situations I encounter. Thank you for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. connect form of understanding externally and then apply it to knowledge. That is a great way to form understanding.
    Because we all understand things individually. Apply things to knowledge, that certainly deepen our understanding.
    Thanks Nicole, I shall APPLY that to my understanding!

    ReplyDelete