BA (hons) Professional Practice

Thursday, 20 October 2011

Award Title

With help from the SIG on Facebook and talking to other practitioners, employers and friends. I propose my final question.

What would a pupil benefit more from a highly skilled teacher with little dance experience or a highly skilled dancer with little teaching experience? 

This has been the source of much debate and seems to tie in all ideas and previous questions I proposed.  Eventually I want to move into teaching dance within the curriculum. At present I teach dance in various dance schools based around the ISTD syllabus and I am completing all major teaching examinations with the ISTD.
 My Knowledge is primarily from a dancers point of view and I am using more than one discipline to contextualise the knowledge- inter-disciplinary. With this in mind and the path I seem to be following, I propose my award title. 

BA (Hons) Professional Practice (in dance teaching)

I have used the word education within my questions and discussions, I could propose my award title as BAPP (in dance education) I think the line is fine between these. Wikipedia defines the term teacher/teaching and education as

  • teacher is a person who provides education for pupils (children) and students (adults)
  • Teaching is the imparting of knowledge by a teacher or other knowledgeable person.
  • Education in the general sense is any act or experience that has a formative effect on the mindcharacter, or physical ability of an individual. In its technical sense, education is the process by which society deliberately transmits its accumulated knowledge, skills, and values from one generation to another.

Both are the imparting of knowledge but I want to understand the knowledge a teacher must have in order to be able teach dance and the benefits this has on a child's development. I believe my award title sums up my previous experience and acquired knowledge, this will enrich my current knowledge and deepen the understanding of my profession even further to enable me to be more competent teacher.


3 comments:

  1. I think your title is perfect Nicole - it's simple and to the point, but that's good as you seem to have a very clear idea of where you see your future career lie. Well done for coming to a final question as well - I am still a way off that yet but I will get there! Just being indecisive and struggling with the exact phrasing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI seems like you've been really working at the tasks. I have also written an email as your advisor. In general to all: think about your award title in terms of what you have trained in formally and what you have done not so much what you want to do.

    Keep questions simple: have a think about what you are assuming in the question and ask yourself if you need to start with those assumptions.

    Who writes wikipedia? Its a great source for finding out what the general thoughts are on something but cross-reference it with something where you know who wrote it and it has been formally published.

    Great Nicole, some really meaty ideas in your blog. Keep up the good work.
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I think you title is simple but effective. The question brings to attention other questions on your title and I think you will find this most interesting when researching. I hope this bring you further in your career. Also glad as I am very interested in this topic so I still think we will have alot to discuss.

    ReplyDelete