BA (hons) Professional Practice

Thursday, 6 October 2011

Developing my Questions...


Adosola directed me to an article that has proved to be immensely valuable in taking my initial questions further. The telegraph published an article in which dance was quoted as being a ‘softer subject .’ Mr Willetts believes that core subjects like mathematics, English, languages and science should be seen and noted as being somewhat higher or more valuable within the education system.

My current thought process has led me to explore the question ‘where is dances place within the education system’?  

If we continue to listen to the views of Mr Willetts back in the 20th century. A comment was made on the article that took me back to Howard Gardener and the theory of multiple intelligence; I note bodily kinaesthetic intelligence is noted as INTELLIGENCE is it not?  An A level is an A Level regardless of whether you part take in it actively or practically and it is the thinking of people like Mr Willetts that brings me to keep asking this question. What does he base his thinking on? The arts and the media sector are surging, so it cannot be employment.

On the contrary I have had several discussions with practitioners, lecturers and friends about whether subjects like Surfing being studied at degree level are just pointless and have no real place within society, I believe that we have now introduced degrees and A levels in all manner of subjects and to me these seem to be rather ridiculous.

Recently I had the pleasure of working with a lady who had a PHD in strip tease.  I completely underestimated this art form and thought I could learn a burlesque dance in an hour, not only did I listen to an hour’s history lesson on burlesque but learnt the most intricate of movements that for even a dancer were very difficult. I do not think anyone has the right to label a subject as ‘soft’ unless they have actively tried it themselves.  What are your thought on this subject?   

What would I be achieving if I researched this question? And whom would benefit from my research? are questions I need to look into.

If we understood the benefits dance has on a child’s development would this shift the way dance is was viewed by others? 

4 comments:

  1. Interesting to hear about your time learning about Burlesque. Sounds like it has stimulated your thoughts even further. I have too read this article from Adesola and have left some comments on it on her blog. I agree to label a subject without experience it practically first is wrong, it is like decided you don’t like something before you have even tried it.
    Trying to help you with your questions there too, it terms of what you are achieving, you will definitely achieve researching into something that is extremely topical in today’s currents affairs, and something that is clearly of personal interest. With Education being of such importance in the world today, the more awareness raised about encouraging creativity and the ‘right’ to be considered equal by studying and gaining qualification to all subject areas the better, I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is interesting to hear about your learning time with the lady on Striptease. I agree that in my mind I thought I could learn a Burlesque routine very easily...But having watched the movie and watching classes just recently the dancing is amazing on it.
    Going onto the subject of creativity and your pointless subject, Surfing at a degree level as an activity I think would be an excellent achievement as a qualification. Nowadays employers are looking for somebody to stand out and the more interesting abilities a person can do will get them higher in life. I do think if someone was to do this it should be an extra add on as like playing an instrument, but then this leads to Why should an activity be an add on when you can take Dance and Drama as a degree? I am going to blog about education too. I think its a really good subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole, I should not worry too much about who it will benefit in terms of changing someone's life. Its just in terms of the question being something that is relevant in the context of professional practice and it clearly is: a better informed person helps everyone. What is dances place in education is interesting? It is from quite a educational perspective, do you work in schools at all?
    What about "what kind of education is dance?" - you got a dance education so you and some of your friends have some experience in this.

    What about knowledge?

    What about asking why 'practical' and 'academic' seem juxtaposed? That's a bit of a history / philosophy question (see mind / body paradigm)

    Please comment on my blog too!!
    Great work

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not work in a school, I work with Essex Dance Theatre, run along side Essex council- I think by asking why practical and academic are juxtaposed, is a question I would enjoy engaging in because it links into what kind of education is dance? I can honestly say this isn't something I know a huge amount about, I know to do an enquiry you are enquiry about the subject in order to deepen your understanding of it- but I feel completely blind- but hugely excited by it. I am going to take my thought to a dance teacher in a state school. Thank you

    ReplyDelete