BA (hons) Professional Practice

Monday, 24 October 2011

Ethics 5a

The codes of practice and regulations that define my work place

  • insure all dance studios are save to teach in and have had a risk assessment  prior to carrying out the class.
  • suitable flooring, adequate temperature and changing/ toilet facilities.
  • keep a register of all students in case of emergency evacuation, understand  fire procedures.
  • As a teacher I must attempt physical corrections in a careful sensible manner to prevent injury.
  • To understand that each pupils physic is different.
  • To be aware of any dance injuries prior to starting the class.
  • Have a structured lesson with targets and teaching aims.
  • Have public liability insurance or covered by employer.
  • To be punctual and professional.
  • Confidentiality between pupil and parents.
  • To have health and safety certificate.
  • Apply corrects in a constructive manner.
  • Insure their are rules and  boundaries between teacher and pupils.
  • To teach in a creative, positive atmosphere where their is discipline and guidelines on how a pupil should behave. (Student Handbook)
  •  Approachable and communicate with both pupils and parents.
  • Understand procedures for disciplinary.
  • Lesson plans are of the correct level for the pupils participating.
  • Understand what the regulations are for conflicts of interest.
  • Attend all staff meetings and training days.
  • Make sure pupils are wearing correct uniform and footwear.
  • Make sure you fill in an accident report form if anything happens during class.

I have noted all codes of practice and regulations without research. 

I often strive for just one correct answer to a question and ethics completely goes against this, there is never one set way to behave but their is a correct way to behave but how do we define what correct behaviour is?  Who ultimately decides what is the right way or the wrong way to behave? What I find acceptable from pupils in both their level of input and the way they behave maybe considerably different from another teacher- Fundamentally there are guidelines that are put in place by your employer for you to follow. 


2 comments:

  1. I agree with your comment about people having different ethical standards Nicole - I think having professional codes of conduct is very useful in providing some uniformity and ensuring that basic standards are adhered to for the wellbeing of employees and students. However, our personal ethics are always going to have an impact, and the way we conduct ourselves will always be based on a mixture of the 2 codes...professional and personal. I am finding the reader on ethics very interesting - as it states, ethics is rarely a field where things are 'black and white', there is a lot of grey area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post here, many of your observations upon the codes of practice seem similar to mine in that ethical standards are not always black and white. I’m interested to know what your understanding is on the concept of ‘applying corrections constructively’. Obviously, we are be to extra careful now a day’s regarding how we treat pupils, but obviously for Dance it is sometimes necessary to make bodily contract to ensure they are assuming the correct potions and shapes. I often wonder what the specific ruling on this would be. For example, I can recollect many a time teachers of mine have tapped my stomach to ensure I am engaging my abdominals, would some find this unacceptable do you think? Linked closely to this I think when you mention about being approachable to parents is very valid, we as teachers do have to develop a sense of trust and understanding with students families as we have a responsibility when they are in our care. Also, regarding your comments at the end of the post, I too find I behave in a way I assume to be professional and ethical, but, as you have said, other individuals may have differing opinions on the ‘best way to behave’.

    ReplyDelete