BA (hons) Professional Practice

Sunday, 30 October 2011

Ethical framework and codes of practice of EDT


After blogging my thoughts on ethics in my work place, I consulted the Essex Dance Theatre – Staff Handbook and Quality Control to establish the ethical framework and codes of practice.

In the handbook it has a section on teaching methods, offering guidelines on overall aims, physical aims, musical aims, use of voice and how to give teaching points and corrections, as well as division of teacher’s attention. These types of guidelines are put in place to achieve continuity throughout the school; every child is different and will view certain  situations differently I believe by having structured teaching methods a child can start to understand boundaries and how a class situation takes place, once boundaries are formed a child can learn in a creative relaxed environment.

There is a section in the handbook entitled -Serve difficulties between staff and student. This looks at serve difficulties of a working relationship between a member of staff and a student and when attitude and behaviour interfere with the atmosphere and working conditions within the studio. It outlines 6 steps that should be taken in order to resolve these issues the first is to try and ensure the issue is resolved in a private discussion at the end of the class. Although there are 6 clear steps in how the issue should be dealt with it still requires both a personal and professional ethical approach. How you actually deal with the situation is primarily down to you as a teacher to solve the issue in accordance with your personal ethics.

The Handbook notes that ‘there are times during any senior students training when the ‘ups and downs’ of growing up mean some students may have trouble with ETD rules and the expectations of behaviour and attitude.’ I think children will always push boundaries in order to establish, build and understand what is right and wrong; this is part of growing up. It is my job as a teacher to be consistent in order for my students to know where to draw the line.

In the code of professional conduct- Fundamental Principles it notes that ‘A tutor should strive for objectivity in all professional and business judgements.’  The word objective is to not be influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts. (Oxford Dictionary, 2011) I like the use of the word strive for, personality I operate whereby my emotions play a huge part in the making of my decisions. Can this be linked to expression and my comfort zones, as I find it easier expressing myself through movement and dance.

A comment Adesola noted on my developing questions was- why academic and practical seem juxtaposed. Looking into the philosophy of the mind and body- my question is can the body affect the mind? 

Reverting back to objectivity and dealing with the facts rather than personal feelings should we, as teachers try to refrain from asking normative questions when dealing with difficulties. By asking factual questions can we eliminate confrontation, as normative questions fuel many opinions on one subject and all are equal and valid? Asking the right kind of question can prevent the difficulties from escalating further- Did you talk when I was talking? As opposed to why did you talk when I was talking?

I would be interested to know your thoughts on the mind and body philosophy? and if you can see any links? I know the mind, body dualism stems from the French philosoher Rene Descartes, so I might need to start my research with him.

3 comments:

  1. Cool, well I think that asking questions you are interested in the answer is best. So i would not ask. I would make the statement something like
    "what you are doing is distracting, it sounds like your talking while I am talking' or something like that.

    Now the mind and body - the idea that they are separate is routed in dualism. Dualism has a long history Descartes added important idea to it his dualism is call Cartesian Dualist. BUT are you a dualist. Most modern philosophers are not.
    Monists are a range of beliefs that are not daulist. At first it is hard to talk about these believes because we talking dualist terms when we say 'mind' or 'body'. So I will not say that some people think everything is the body, because these people do not recognise the idea of the 'body' because it implies that no mind is present. Instead we can say that everything begins with sensation.

    I think (I am a Pragmatist Researcher and I draw on Phenomenology also) the mind is the reflective action of the body in other words the mind-ful-body you can replace the concept of body or mind with embodiment.

    A great book is:
    The Body Social: symbolism, Self and Society by Anthony Synnott
    You could just read the first chapter - I think you find it really useful.
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, my opinion and from experience is that my mind controls my body. For example when I am in an audition (sounds lame) I have to close my eyes and think concentrate you can do this. My experience has taught me to do this as I feel that if my mind is clear and only focusing on the 6 or 7 counts of 8 that I have to smash out of my body it will do what I tell it do. I have to work hard as a dancer and I want to gain the best results and have a long successful career, however I feel that when the mind is elsewhere dancing can be a struggle to concentrate and perform at your best. Its similar to Yoga, Mind Body and Soul, Yoga is really effective if your clear and just zoning into the movements and concentrating on the muscles. I feel the mind does effect the body. You agree?? Or is it vice versa?
    When you act on something it could evidently effect your mind???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not actually believe the mind and body are opposed but work together. I just need to start looking into different angles, I have purchased the body social- thanks.

    ReplyDelete