BA (hons) Professional Practice

Saturday, 10 December 2011

Inquiry Question- any thoughts?

I am still trying to word my inquiry question, I have an area or topic of interest but need to focus the questions I have previously proposed, as to not make the topic too broad. I have a few drafts below.

  • How do Dancers feel there physical body is involved in experiences, that they feel they have gained knowledge from? 
  • How do dancers students describe the knowledge they gain from doing a dance class? 

I have spoken to Adesola with regards to including the physical body in my question.

'I think that you should look into this because you need to be clear about whether you are starting from the idea that the body AND the mind can generate knowledge or whether you think the body IS the mind generating knowledge.' (Akinleye, 2011)

I feel I was unsure as to what I was suggesting when talking about the physical body but the reason for including the physical body stems much from my earlier thoughts and from listening to Sir Ken Robinson- about value being placed on the mind? 

According to Robinson (2001), “(The) education system has become obsessed with particular forms of academic ability…many people leave education never realizing their intellectual capacities”. It could be argued that a focus on ‘the mind’ alone marginalizes many pupils and ignores vital senses and aspects of the physical body which are also essential to learning. Government strategies, such as All Our Futures, Building Schools for the Future and The Children’s Plan, highlight the on-going debate around relationship between physical knowledge, environment and learning. Although the moving body has “warranted relatively little attention in academia” (Thomas 2003), there remains an ongoing debate within sociology (Connell 2005) and physical education /dance (McFee 1994) about the role of the body in engagement with learning.' (Akinleye, 2011)

In order to clear my thoughts, I looked at literature around the body - 'The Body Social'  Symbolism, Self and Society, A . Synnott.

The first chapter is entitled 

'Body, Tomb, Temple, Machine and self' it quotes

'The Body is the Tomb of the soul' Plato

'Your body is the temple of the holy spirit'  Saint Paul

'The Human body may be considered as a machine' Descartes

'The body is what I immediately am...I am my body'  Sartre

So it is important I understand what I mean by the body because ' how the body is defined both physically and socially, vary widely from person to person, and have changed dramatically over time. ( A. Synnott, The Body Social, 1993)

Taking all this into consideration I feel I should not include physical body in my title as looking into how particular people, literature and myself describe knowledge gained from participation in a dance class, will probably cover areas of the body but not focus the inquiry around it. I am hoping this will prevent my inquiry from becoming too broad.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nicole

    Your topic is really interesting. I would never have thought about how we create dance. It is really interesting and look forward to reading your blogs as they progress. I think maybe you should try making a mind map of all your ideas to try and find a suitable title. This will give you a clear indication of what topics seem to have more queries/ideas about them.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete